St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Essex
St. Joseph’s Catholic Church is located about one mile north of the main village of Essex. The church was built mostly by volunteers. In 1873, it was completed using locally quarried stone at a total cost of $9,000 (Images of America: Essex on Lake Champlain78).The church served members of both the Essex and Willsboro communities, and this factor contributed to the chosen building site. The decision of where to locate the church was made to make it more convenient and accessible for Willsboro parishioners and to “provide room to shelter worshipers’ horses” (Belden Noble Memorial Library. Essex, New York: An Early History. Burlington, VT: Queen City Printers, 2003. Print. 79). The land was donated by James Ross with the stipulation that it never be used as a cemetery. This may seem like a strange request, but for some the idea is macabre and there may have been practical reasons as well.
ST JOSEPH'S CATHOLIC CHURCH DECORATION
“The eleven stained glass windows (including St. Joseph’s picture in his carpenter’s shop in the front) were installed in the early 1900s. Patrick Boyle, trustee at the time, chose windows that represented the joyful and glorious mysteries of the rosary.” (Essex, New York: An Early History 79-80) A picture of St. Stephan, made of gold and colored thread, hangs in the vestry—Mrs. James Harlan (nee Noble) bought it in Italy and gifted it to Alonzo Bouchard, who then donated it to the church (Essex, New York: An Early History 80).